DIY Coasters!


Awhile back I spotted the ever popular “Coaster tutorial” on pinterest, and thought it was clever. At the time, I really had no idea who or what I’d make them for, so I just kept it in the back of my mind. Now I obviously have a reason to make them, so I made a few sets for a few family members, using photos. It’s a little time consuming, kind of – not all at once, it just requires a little patience because you really need to give these time to dry. Overall, it’s a really fabulous, personalized gift and it is not that expensive. Since I know the folks I made these for won't check the blog within the next few days, I can go ahead and post these :)

I made a few little changes to my coasters, so here’s what I did, and what I used. I also changed my process up a little bit.

-Modge Podge (I bought mine at Michael’s for $8 or so, I think)
-Acrylic Sealer  (Michaels, $5)
-Ceramic Tiles  (Home Depot, .16 cents a piece. I got the 4.5x4.5)
-Engine Enamel (Auto Zone, $6)
-White paint (Michaels, $1.99)
-Black Felt (I think they were .29 cents a piece, bought at Michaels, but you can find them at your local Walmart too.)

When I checked out the tutorials, I read through all the comments on every one to see what potential issue people were having so I could try to avoid those issues.

I used this kind, and I used the foam brushes -- I found the small foam brushes were PERFECT for this. 


One thing I noticed is a lot of people didn’t seem to give the coats enough time to DRY. So, I started by cutting my photos down into squares. (And, I cannot cut straight. If you have an exacto knife, this is about when that would be the best invention ever.) I used modge podge on the back of the pictures to adhere them to the tiles. Once I did that, I let them sit overnight. The next morning, I applied the first coat of modge podge. It shows the streaks, obviously, since it’s modge podge, and it applies white, but it dries clear. Now, I don’t know how long it actually takes the one coat to dry, but I left mine sitting for 6-12 hours before I would apply the next coat. I put 4 coats of modge podge on each. (See why I said it took a little time – I really let mine dry as best as I could)

Drying after a coat of Modge Podge - they really look cute!

I let the final coat of Modge Podge dry for a little bit longer before I applied the acrylic spray. You do NOT want to apply acrylic spray in the house --- take these outside, in the basement, in the garage – anywhere  but in your living area. I applied four coats of acrylic spray, and I let each coat take a full day to dry.

After they fully dried, I decided to take one and test it. I noticed online a lot of people mentioned hot beverages left a ring or would stick, and that you should wait 30 days before putting a hot beverage on it to let the Modge Podge clear. I wasn’t so convinced. The coaster tested perfect for the cold, but as soon as I put a hot cup of water on it – it started to stick and leaving a little ring. I did some googling and decided a trip to Auto Zone for clear engine enamel was the way to go. The enamel is built for withstanding the hot temperatures. I applied two coats of the clear enamel, and I let them sit for 3 days before touching them again – so that they would be 100% fully dry.

You could probably just do the engine enamel if you really wanted to, but I liked having both the sealer and the enamel.

I tested them again after that, and SUCCESS! Hot and Cold Beverages are perfect on them. No extra 30 days needed, and no telling my recipients that they couldn’t put a hot cup on it!

The edge of the ceramic tiles are kind of unfinished, and  you could leave them like that if you wish. But I wanted it to be white, and I hated the feel of the unfinished side – I don’t know what it was, but it felt weird and I didn’t like it.

Some sides look worse than others -- which is why I do suggest finishing them.

I know some folks painted the edges first and used spray paint, but since I waited late to do mine, I had to use different paint. I picked this paint up at Michaels, which was only $2, and it applied flawlessly with a small brush. I suppose it is just as easy do that first, but I didn’t have any issues waiting so late to add the side paint, although I did had to take my finger and make sure there was no excess paint on the finished parts.

This is the paint I wound up using. It works perfect, and if I make more, I'd do this again over using spray paint. I let the paint dry overnight.

I used a black felt square and applied it on the bottom with a hot glue gun. I put some of the glue on the bottom of the tile, and then put the felt on – and then I went around the edges and put a little bit of glue under any area that was coming up.

I couldn't cut the felt straight either, but whatever. This seemed a lot easier than cutting four circles for the corners. Plus, it covers all the unfinished look on the bottom.

And they’re done!  Instead of tying them together with ribbon I found these adorable boxes at Michaels  and they fit perfectly, and look adorable!

I LOVE them in the little boxes. I put a little tissue on the bottom and on the top to protect them a little bit, because I made different numbers of coasters for different people so some filled to the brim. I think the box ended up fitting 7 or 8 coasters total. That's my super duper cute Granny, isn't that the cutest picture ever?! I made these ones for my Mom :) We miss Granny so much, I thought these would be great for mom to have.

And since I'm posting Christmas....


I have officially finished Christmas shopping -- AND have everything wrapped! Success! I got a lot more for the kids than I planned, but that's my job, right?! It doesn't help that my nephew is so crazy easy to buy for -- between the WWE stuff, Legos, and Star Wars -- I just kept buying him more! 


I put my tree up in November, and I'm going to be so sad to take it down. Next year I might swap out the pink ornaments for blue. I really love having the coordinated looking tree and not random ornaments everywhere, this sister ornament is the only non coordinated ornament I put on it. And of course, I did that because it was A) a gift from my sister, and B) Silver, and it looked cute!






11 comments

  1. I'll be making these very shortly and was wondering whether you felt that the coasters needed to be heated in the oven before they are truly heat proof. It doesn't seem as though you cooked yours, so I'm hoping I don't have to, as I feel it would probably damage the photo.
    The engine enamel that I purchased says to heat the item in the oven at 200oC for 2hrs before it's heat proof (up to something crazy like 500oC). However, they are of course refering to items that will be used with engines etc, the coasters should only ever need to withstand heat up to 100oC, never as hot as an engine gets.
    Did you ever have any problems?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no problems! I never did the oven, and the ones I made withstand a hot mug pretty well- after a few years, there isn't even a ring on them! :) Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for your reply. So glad to hear they are still ring-free after years :) Can't wait to see how mine turn out.

      Delete
    3. So VHT Engine Enamel enables you to out a hot coffee cup on it and it won't stick? Did you cure it in the oven like the cans says to do?

      Delete
    4. Kris did you make yours? If so how did they turn out with the engine enamel?

      Delete
    5. Hi, yeh they turned out well.. I'm actually still in the process of making some as I had a few false starts because I used a different brand of engine enamel and it kinda remained sticky... I also had tried to not coat the pictures with mod podge before starting enamel layers (the spray didn't coat it well, I think it reacted to the ink somehow because certainly colours on the photo always ended up looking shinier or plainer, very weird).
      In the end I went out and bought a can of VHT engine enamel and I'm really happy with the results so far. I tried one coaster without putting it in the oven, it did get a small mark from a hot mug (even after I let it sit for a week) so I decided to try the oven like it says on the can. The photo became slightly discoloured, with a mild yellow tinge, so I've decided that I may try heating it in the oven again, but this time it will probably only be up to 20mins and maybe not the full 93oC.
      I'm also considering putting on an extra coat or two of engine enamel (after letting it dry for 7 days like the can says).

      Delete
    6. Hello again Kris thanks for getting back to me, a couple other questions. How many coats of the modge podge did you do on top of the picture before spraying the VHT Engine Enamel? And how long did you heat it in the oven the first time with the yellow discoloration results? The full hour at 200'F? Also even with the slight yellow tinge after curing it in the oven did you try and see if it handled a hot coffee mug?

      Delete
    7. Hi Andrea.
      I did 4 coats of mod podge I'm fairly sure.
      And yes I heated it for the full hour. I placed it in the oven when the oven was still cold, turned the oven on to 93oC (200oF) then I pulled it out after an hour. I thought I could see it changing colour as the time passed but decided to see how it turned out anyway.
      And yes I have used it with a hot mug and it has so far not left any marks since heating in the oven. Which is why I think I'll try heating my other tiles, but not for nearly as long.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what color paint did you use on the sides?

    ReplyDelete